Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Rustic Details

So you want to know how to add some rustic elements to you apartment or home? Look no further.

The first rustic idea that pops out to me is adding boards painted with chalk paint behind a flat screen tv for the living room. In fact, I love this idea, and if my tv wasn't currently sitting on a mantle above the fireplace, I would definitely have to reinvent this idea to work for my living room. I am also loving the vintage suitcases stacked according to height are such a nice touch.
See what I mean below: 
Image via Rustic-Crafts

Another rustic chic idea that I want to experiment with for my house is adding a bar cart, or in this case, trunk.
I happen to have a vintage trunk passed down from my aunt, who recently passed away, and am super tempted to add legs to it, or turn it into a bar table right by itself. I know you have seen the infamous "bar carts" on pinterest and even in hit interior stores, such as Anthropologie. If not then you will have no idea why the thought of displaying liquor/wine bottles in an aesthetically pleasing way brings joy to my heart, but it does. I really love the mirror, flowers and lamp as well. *Mentally takes notes*


Image via 
The best part about this rustic living room is all the details. Don't close your eyes because you might miss something. The lampshade is one of my favorite pieces in the room but the oversized, round floor pillow comes in as a close second. Burlap pillows also compliment the neutral palette nicely.

 Image via
THE BEST IDEA EVER. Yes, adding old whitewashed shutters as a headboard is actually a thing, and if you think about it, a super easy way to integrate rustic elements in the bedroom.


Image via

Image Via DiyNCrafts
An amazing DIY idea that I just have to mention is this barn wood reclaimed mirror made using a regular mirror, such as a cheap one from Wal-Mart, and surrounding it with wood. I may try to convince my boyfriend to construct one of these for me after writing this post.

Image Via Over The Big MoonCan we talk about how awesome the idea of adding boards to the back of a bookcase? This instantly adds a rustic factor to any room. I absolutely love it.
Full tutorial here



Believe it or not, wooden letters adds a rustic touch to any room. In this case, the room is the kitchen and this craft actually appeals to me. If you have attempted to or have successfully made these, please let me know. To clarify a little, check out the full tutorial here.

Are you intrigued by rustic style for your home but don't have loads of money to spend to upgrade your existing decor? 
40 Rustic Home Decor Ideas you Can Build Yourself is a great reference as you transform your home with rustic inspired details.

Know any good rustic DIY ideas worth mentioning?
 Comment below & I'll add them to the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Refrigerator Organizers:Ikea Ideas

"Four hours were spent gallivanting the many chaotic yet fascinating aisles of Ikea Home.  Pillows and glasses were picked out, Swedis...